Jul 4, 2010

The receding glacier of my life


Up until this past April I have felt my life has been frozen under a massive glacier trying to deal with being gay and being an active faithful Mormon while living up here in Alaska.

By making the choice of being honest with myself and to those I love, I can now say that I feel the weight of this glacier has finally started melting.  It’s taken me a lifetime of pain, hurt, confusion, friendships, guidance, struggling, mistakes and pondering to bring me to where I’m at today—a feeling of acceptance and readiness to move on with a different life than I had ever anticipated or expected.  I'm actually excited about this prospect, for the first time in my life I can step down from the pedestal I have been on for so long and just be me.

As this glacier retreats I can now see my new life emerge from where there was once nothing but the appearance of perfection as I have always strived to project the persona of the "perfect Mormon boy" to keep my secret safe and please others.  I know it can take a lifetime for a glacier to fully melt, but I am now happy about who I am and look forward to finding greater happiness as a gay Mormon trying to live the gospel the best he can as I embark on the path of my future. 
"Life is to be enjoyed, not endured" -Gordon B. Hinckley 


Today being the 4th of July, a day of declaring independence and celebration I thought it would be appropriate to post my first post today as I celebrate the birth and independence of a great nation as well as the birth and independence of a new MoHo.  ME! :)

8 comments:

  1. Nice to know Global Warming has some good effects for some.


    In all seriousness, I'm glad you are finally standing your ground and making a conscious choice to not be paralysed by the worries that beset you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great use for independence day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for new beginnings! Looking forward to hearing your story and experiences.
    hugs,pl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Accepting our lives for what they really are, not necessarily what we would wish them be or what others would have them for us, is one of the greatest challenges in life. You sound like you are well on your way to meeting it. Best wishes and welcome to our little world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to know of you and your journey thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily Dickinson wrote, "Not knowing when the dawn will come, I open every door." Congrats on the new blog and opening up this particular door. :D

    May you feel the light and love of everyone here!

    ReplyDelete